When you are planning to set up a network for your business or office, it’s always better to go for a wireless network that can help you to control network encryption, such as Linksys smart Wi-Fi.
To use all the exciting features of Linksys smart Wi-Fi, first, you have to set up the device to make it work smoothly and efficiently. Hence, it is essential to have knowledge of Linksys smart Wi-Fi setup.
How to Setup Linksys Smart Wi-Fi?
The Linksys smart Wi-Fi router can easily be set up using the Smart Setup Wizard. The Smart Setup Wizard is installed in the firmware by default.
Before performing the Linksys smart wifi router setup, the following are needed to avoid any problems during the setup:
- 1 or 2 ethernet / internet (RJ-45) cables.
- A computer with an ethernet port or a Wi-Fi computer.
- The computer must be connected using a secure and stable internet connection.
How to Run the Smart Setup Wizard?
To set up the Linksys Smart Wi-Fi using the Smart Setup Wizard, you can follow the steps stated below:
If the router comes with the external antennas, first, connect them to the router and plug in the device to a power supply.
Press the power switch of the router and hold it for a few seconds until the power light indicator becomes solid. Afterward, connect the modem with the Internet port of the router using the ethernet cable.
Connect your computer to the secured Wi-Fi. You can locate the WiFi credentials at the bottom of the router. To prevent any problems, make sure that the device is connected with a strong signal from the router.
Note: If you prefer, you can also use a wired system. In that case, skip this step and go to Step 3.
Open a web browser and go to the official website of Linksys. If you see that the Smart Setup is not running, then enter the default (192.168.1.1) IP address of the router. Or if you prefer, you can also type ‘myrouter.local’ in the address bar of the browser.
Tick the box that prompts ‘I have read and accepted the License Terms for using this software.’ After that, tap the Next button to proceed further.
On some specific model of Linksys Smart Wi-Fi, you may see the checkbox ‘I want to skip Setup and configure my router manually.’ Tick this box and tap on the Next button to proceed further.
- In some cases, the Smart Setup screen doesn’t appear. Hence, you can press the Reset button from the back of the router and hold it for a minimum of 12 seconds. It will turn the device off and turn it back on. Wait for a few minutes until the device boots up and begin with Step 1 again.
- If the ‘Your Internet cable is not connected correctly’ message appears, it indicates that no internet connection is detected by the device. Perform the on-screen steps to troubleshoot the connection problem and click on the Next button.
- If you are using the DSL or Digital Subscriber Line, then you will be asked to provide the PPPoE Account name (Point-to-Point Protocol over Ethernet) and password. Enter the login credentials and tap on the Next button to proceed.
It will take you to the ‘Updates for your router’ window. Here, you will see that the ‘Install future router updates automatically (recommended)’ option is selected by default. You can uncheck the box to perform an auto-update.
Or if you prefer, you can also turn this option on. Next, log into the web-based setup page of the router and click Next.
Now, give the name of the Wi-Fi. Set the Wi-Fi Password and click Next. Unlike the Wi-Fi Name 2.4 GHz, the Wi-Fi Name 5 GHz will be added with the _5GHz suffix.
Or if you prefer, you can also use the same name for both the network bands. For that, tap on the ‘Give all my Wi-Fi bands the same name’ option.
Afterward, you can connect with the newly created Wi-Fi Name. Then, return to the Setup process and click on the Next button.
Go to the ‘Create a router password’ section and enter the password of your wireless router. Then, click Next. Now, if you see that the router prompts the ‘Add a password hint’ option, you can enter your desirable hint in the specific field and tap Next.
Afterward, if you see the message ‘Your router is set up!’ appears on the screen, it indicates that you have set up the router successfully. Now, the new Wi-Fi settings and the admin password will be displayed on the screen.
Note down the new settings for future reference and tap on the Next button to complete the entire setup procedure.
Afterward, it will navigate you to the ‘Create Your Linksys Smart Wi-Fi Account’ page. Now, you have completed the setup process successfully.
Additional information: How to Create a Linksys Cloud Account?
Perform as follows:
- Visit the official website of Linksys.
- Click on the ‘Click here’ option beside the ‘Don’t have an account’ option.
- Enter the necessary details and check the box that prompts ‘I have read and accepted the End User License Agreement, Terms of Service, and Privacy Statement.’
- Click on the ‘Create My Account’ button and you will receive an email to activate your account.
- Login to your email id and open the mail send by Linksys. Click on the ‘Activate your account’ link.
- Now, if you see that the message ‘Account is now validated’ appears, tap on the ‘here’ link. Enter the login credentials that you just set and tap on the ‘Sign In’ button.
- Once the ‘Associate Router’ page appears, link the router to your account by entering the administrative password in the specific field. Lastly, click on the OK button to complete the process.