You can consider the static IP address as a fixed IP address that is configured on the settings of a router or computer. Some Internet Service Providers ask you to enter the static IP on the TCP/IP settings of the computer to connect to the internet.
Setup Static IP on Linksys Router
To know how to setup static IP on router, you need to gather some essential information from your Internet Service Provider such as:
- Subnet mask.
- Default Gateway.
- DNS (Domain Name Server).
- Internet IP Address.
Confirm that you are connected with a stable and secure internet connection. After that, connect your computer to the broadband modem using an Ethernet cable. Check the Static IP Address on your computer, if you can go online using that. If not, you can connect with your Internet Service Provider.
If you recently switched Internet Service provider and you are going to use the Static IP connection, first, you need to reset the router. Press the Reset button by using a paper clip or pen and hold it for a minimum of 12 seconds.
Afterward, unplug the device from the power supply and wait for at least 1 minute. Then, connect it back to the power outlet and wait for a few seconds until the power indicator becomes solid.
To apply the whole process of how to setup Static IP on Linksys router, you can perform as follows:
Step 1: Connect the Devices and Check the LED
First of all, connect the modem to the internet port of the wireless router and the computer to any of the four Ethernet ports.
Once you connect the device to the router, you can check the LED to make sure that they are working properly.
Step 2: Set up a Static IP on the Linksys Router
To set up the static IP address on your Linksys router, you can follow the steps mentioned below:
- First and foremost, navigate to the setup page of the router.
- Then, open a web browser and type “192.168.1.1” in the address bar. Hit the Enter key from the keyboard to proceed.
- Now, you will be prompted to provide the login credentials. Type “admin” in the Password field and leave the ‘User Name’ field blank. Afterward, click on the OK button.
- Choose the ‘Static IP’ option as the ‘Internet Connection Type.’
- Afterward, enter the DNS, Default Gateway, Subnet Mask, and Internet IP Address provided by your Internet Service provider.
- Lastly, tap on the ‘Save Settings’ button.
Step 3: Perform a Power Cycle
Now, perform the power cycle by following the instructions provided below:
- First, shut down the computer and unplug the power cable of the router.
- Next, unplug the power cable of the modem. Wait for a minimum of 30 seconds after that.
- Now, plug in the power cable to the modem and wait for a few seconds until the light becomes stable.
- Lastly, turn the computer On and check the internet connection.
That’s it. If you have followed the above instructions carefully, you have successfully set up a Static IP on your Linksys router.